Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Gorgeous Gorges & George's

Wow, time to give you guys a quick recap on the past three days. Firstly, we did make it to the Samaria gorges and let me tell you, this ain't no easy hike. When we heard it takes 6 hours to get from point A to B, we thought for sure we could make it in three. Well, five sun scorching hours in and our smiles began to fade but we did experience one of the most spectacular views and wilderness in all our vacations. We found it comparable to the path of the gods in Positano, except this hike had fresh running spring water all the way down that you could fill your bottles up with. After 18 km's of hiking we made it to the bottom and enjoyed a sea view lunch that was well deserved. I ordered a hefty plate of stuffed tomatoes, peppers & vine leaves and Justin had the gyro platter. These were both exceptionally tasty but I had to request a plate of tzaziki to dip it in. It's just so darn good here! *Quick shout out to our amazing hosts at the Vranas Rooms in Old Chania: Aleksandra, Nicos & Georges. You guys were great!!!!*

We left Crete for Santorini yesterday and this was quite the ordeal. The agent who sold us our tickets for the speed boat accidentally sold us tickets for August!! So we got kicked off the boat after finally getting comfortable and found out there were no more boats till the next day! Drama. I was not about to head back to Chania so I stood at the side of the boat, sad faced with our big fat luggages and the captain finally came to us and said that he had two empty seats that we could take. Thank god! Our arrival to Santorini was perfection. The hotel picked us up no stress and we spent the afternoon walking around Fira. There are postcard worthy picture opportunities on every corner. We caught our first sunset over the Calderon (breathtaking) and headed over to a resto near our hotel which served free wine with dinner. They had me at Free... By this point I was starving so I ordered the most calorie filled and richest item on the menu: moussaka. For those of you who are not familiar with this dish, it is sort of like Shepard pie but with no corn. This dish consists of lots of heavy cream, potatoes, eggplant and minced meat. I gobbled down my plate and ate four slices of home baked bread drenched in olive oil. I could barely move after this and Justin had to force me to walk it off. I  definitely slept like a log that night.

Xo dom appetit

PS. Our hotel room is absolutely lovely. Our balcony is facing the town and we have an ocean view and most impressively, the bed and pillows are cushiony heaven. Wanna take them home with me!

    The first natural spring water we reached
    Still smiling, sore feet - 13 km's in
    My generous plate of stuffed vine leaves, tomatoes & green peppers
    Our apartment in Santorini
    First sunset over the Calderon
    Mussaka time!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment