Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pink Sands & Hilltop Dining

Leave it to my hubs and I to forget to set our alarms and sleep in. We were supposed to get our buns out of bed at 5am in order to beat the crowds to the gorges for our 6 hour hike. Instead we woke up hastily at 1pm and had to plan B it to the beach. Not just any beach my friends, the magnificent pink sand beach Elafonisi. Since this trek through the mountains required a car, we booked it to the nearest rental and hit the road. 

This drive is definitely for thrill seekers and not for the faint of heart. My heart was racing most of the time since you are winding up and down the edge of the mountains. No gates, no walls, just you, the dirt roads, and the crazy head on traffic. But what a beautiful experience. The plush mountains full of wild goats and blossoming flowers really takes your breathe away. 

The beach deserves it's own blog, but I know we are really here to discuss the food so I'll give you a quick description: most mythical beach I have ever been to. Clear waters, mountainous backgrounds, pink sand. Enough said.

Now for the dining: we rode up probably the scariest most winded road I have ever seen to get to a small village built on a mountain top called Milia (Even after driving the Amalfi Coast, I found myself clenching my teeth and holding my breathe). This village consists of a handful of homes and an Eco-friendly restaurant. They specialize in making everything from scratch: wine, olive oil, cheese, meats, jams, ect. We purposely chose a seat out on their balcony so we can watch the sun go down on the flourishing landscape. Our modest waiter/owner came out to greet us with a small menu written on his paper pad. He listed off about 10 items and we decided to give him the carte Blanche on our order. Homemade white & red wine with fresh bread to start, quickly followed by a plate of cheese & spinach pies with zucchini fritters. The flavours and fresh herbs used to create these dishes were so tasty and we were full after just the apps!! After a few minutes of awing the environment, we were presented with two entrees: a marinated beef with roasted veggies and a plate of slow roasted goat & veggies. The waiter suggested since the meat is so fresh and has not been mistreated, that we can eat everything, including the fat. Haha, I took his advice and have a feeling I shouldn't be wearing a bikini for the rest of the trip... But my god, the most tender meat (falling off the bone and melting in your mouth) and simplest flavours I have had in a while. Brings you back to the basics - no frills. Just real simple and delightful cooking. 

Thankfully dessert was a bowl of ravishing strawberries with syrup and of course, the ever so fateful Raki. We graciously thanked our host and hit the road before the sun beat us down the mountains. 

Driving home I had to stop to pick up some locally made olive oil and found the most magical stand on the edge of a cliff. The owner of the stand made me try every single flavoured Raki he had (banana, orange, lemon, pomegranate, honey) and his mothers homemade jams. The sucker for figs that I am, grabbed a large bottle of it & a bottle of his best olive oil. I also snagged a pic with him in his traditional Cretan wear and his pet Kri-Kri. 

World Cup starts tonight and I am being forced to have some ouzo on a seaside patio "watching" the game with anticipation along side my fellow Cretans! Go Brasil!!! 

Xo dom appetit 

    Elafonisi - Clear water & pink sands
    From scratch cheese pies, spinach pies and zucchini fritters
    Slow cooked goat & herbs w veggies
    Marinated beef & veggies 
    Us on balcony of hilltop resto 
    Inside resto view --- so quaint!!
    And lastly, me and my oils dealer!
    Breathtaking view from our drive... 

1 comment:

  1. You two certainly know how to soak up the local culture. Here's hoping the rest of your trip is just as amazing. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete