Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Exploring Santorini's Best

Yesterday we sailed out to visit Santorini's visible active volcano (the other one is under sea level and is of greater concern to the people here) and swim in the hot springs. The hot springs are unreachable by boat so we had to dive into the ocean and swim to them which was quite the feat. They had the reddest mud there that you could bathe in at the risk of tainting your bikini a prime ant brownish red. Of course I was one of the few to roll around in it like a little piggy. We then took some time to lounge around the island of Thirassa, which was once connected to Santorini but detached when the volcano went off 400 some years ago. Our adventure ended in Oia to watch the sunset, wine in hand. This was by far the best sunset I have ever seen. Sorry gang, but I was cheapity-cheap yesterday and made my own sandwich with fresh cheese, salami & mortedella (not pic worthy). No dinner either since we were too busy partying it up with ouzo at a body paint party. 

Today we rented a quad (4-wheeler) and have been driving around the island checking out the black sand beaches. Nested at Perissa on lounging chairs, soaking in the rays. Definitely wondering how I could live like this permanently. After a few hours of sun bathing we hit up Bouteri, which is one of 5 top wineries in the world, for some wine tasting. For dining we heard great things about Mama's House, a resto down the street from our suite, so we headed there to feast. And what a feast it was. For starters we shared grilled octopus in a balsamic sauce accompanied by fresh bread and a cheese, whipped butter and spice mixture. For my main the waiter suggested I try the Baked Lamb (Kleftiko) with fettuccine in a homemade tomato sauce. The lamb was melt in your mouth good - literally falling off the bone at every touch with my fork. The sauce was delicious with baby olives and whole peppercorns. I could have licked that plate clean, but I think I embarrassed Justin enough by sucking the marrow out of my lamb bone lol. We opted out on dessert because I had my eye on this pistachio cake soaked in local honey at a bakery down the street. Mama Mia, me belly full!

Xo dom appetit! 

    Not nearly at the top of the volcano but had to share this shot of our boat on the right and the different colours of the water & rock due to the eruption 
 Sunset over Oia - this is not even close to how mesmerizing this sunset was
 
    Paint Party Action! The one and only night we mustered enough energy to hit the town 
    Black Sand Beach - Perissa
    Octopus in balsamic - yum yum 
    Slow cooked lamb on a bed of tomato fettuccine --- ridic. 
    Pistachio cake in honey... xox

No comments:

Post a Comment