Friday, June 13, 2014

Scooters, Monks & Stew

Sadly, my camera died yesterday and I did not have time to get an adaptor until late evening, so no food pics (sad face). We spent the day wondering through two ancient monasteries, hiking down the Rocky Mountains to the caves that the monks once inhabited. They now brew their own wine and extra virgin olive oil to raise money for the community. I bought a bottle of Cabernet which I drank that evening on my balcony. 

We went for a late dinner (like 11pm, when in Greece eat like the Greeks) at a Taverna called Semiramis in a hidden alley. The food was so authentic and there was the most romantic live music being sung by three old Greek men. Of course we were greeted with the usual fresh bread and bowl of local olives. I was feeling some comfort food so ordered a bowl of vegetable stew. I know you are thinking, stew? Really dom? But yes, the stew was divine! It was filled with local produce: courgettes, aubergine and carrots. I slopped that plate up with a warm piece of homemade bread. Once again, the Cretens never disappoint with their FREE dessert and Raki. We were served four deep fried donuts rolled in honey and cinnamon with ice cream in the middle. 

Definitely went to bed happy. I can't believe the only picture I have to share with you is the first steps of our pilgrimage down to the caves...

Xo domappetit 

PS. I forgot to mention that we rented a scooter for the day and rolled down to this gorgeous beach where we ate out on their patio. Cheese pies, salad with fresh onions and Greek style mashed potatoes with two Mythos. Mmmmm...

    The start to our sweaty pilgrimage 

    The view from our balcony... Tres romantique! 

    The cutest little blue chairs ever. I just had to share! 

No comments:

Post a Comment