Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Adios Naxos!

Got to beautiful, sweet, tranquil Naxos last night and feel seriously at ease being away from island "tourism" here. The past few days in Santorini were a real wind-whirl. From swimming in impressively high red cliffed beaches to stomping through archeological sites of prehistoric villages, we needed these two recoup days before hitting up party town Mykonos. 

I did eat some delightful meals before leaving Santorini that are worth sharing. When perusing through Kamari, a way popular black beach lined with resto after resto, we found a traditional taverna that caught my eye with great deals on grilled sardines. Needing my fish fix, I gobbled the 12 full sardines like a champ and washed it down with a couple glasses of white wine. I also had a fabulous pizza on a rooftop hidden in one of the tourist filled alleyways in Fira that is worth mentioning. The view was phenomenal and the pizza dough was perfectly chewy and I could just not get enough. 

My first meal in Naxos was a bit of a disappointment though. I ordered the seafood risotto in the cutest little taverna along the port and was saddened to see my seafood already removed from their shells and the rice not as tender as it should be. This is when my food snob self comes into play, but it was still tasty. Justin's dish of mixed meats was fantastic though. What a gentleman giving me some of his sausage. 

The next day we rented a scooter and travelled around the island to the beautiful powder white sand beach of Plaka. This is long strip of beach after beach with so many choices for stationing. After a long beach day and a couple sanctuary visits, we were both hungry little hippos. We chose another cute taverna along the port where all products come from the owners farm and the fish is fresh from that day. I decided on the special of that evening which was a traditional Greek meal: fish with soup. Sounds a bit plain, but it was bursting with flavour! I was presented with the entire red snapper glazed in lemon, olive oil, and local spices with a side of homegrown potatoes (which tasted like pure butter. Never have I fallen in love with potatoes like these before!). The soup was a broth with rice that the fish had simmered in and tasted of fresh lemon and herbs. Honestly, this was prob my favorite meal of this trip. I "oh-ed" and "aw-ed" the entire meal through and thanked the farmers son for his recommendation. The meal was completed with a wonderful orange zest cake & raki with honey, all courtesy of the owner.

Did I mention how great the continental breakfast was in Naxos? The Greek Yogurt was the best I ever had. It's thick like consistency gave it a cheesecake feel but with such soft flavours. I went back for four servings with home brewed honey drizzled on top. Fat kids love their honey. 

Before leaving to Mykonos, I made sure to buy some local products from a cute traditional store that we passed several times. I was like an over active child in a candy shop! There were barrels of spices, herbs, teas and fresh cheeses everywhere! I stocked up on rose buds, green tea, chamomile flowers, lavender, eucalyptus leaves, olive oil soaps, sea body sponges, a 1.5 litre of white wine (only 3 euros), and some homemade wrinkle cream (haha I know what Besty Mel is thinking!). All this for $27 euros. 

Little deal seaker I am. Going to make my own tea blend back at home! No more overpriced David's Tea for me.

Xo domappetit  

    Red Beach in Santorini, the swimming can get a bit wild but it's worth it!
    Closer view at the red sand... Pretty cool huh?
    Yummy buttery spinach pie snack
    Kamari Beach grilled sardines & veg
    Destroyed it! The local kitties were begging for those bones!
    The last meal in Santorini... Pizza & Greek salad --- the caldera view in the background!! 
    Seafood risotto with an ouzo lemon & dill sauce. 
    Justin's meat plate that I snatched a few bites of...
    My beauty red snapper in a lemon oil glaze... Soup & Mythos on the side.
    Fab continental breaky in Naxos. Greek yogurt & honey obsessed.
    Adios Naxos ...

No comments:

Post a Comment