Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie

What a whirlwind summer this has shaped up to be. I have been enjoying the 30 something weather to the fullest of my abilities, and am proud to say that I can officially participate in a sport that entails hand-eye coordination. Anyone who knows me can confirm that I am the definition of a klutz and should be banned from any sport for my own safety and self-preservation. But my lovely boyfriend took a chance on me and was kind enough to teach me the do’s and don’ts of the intimate game of Tennis. I have to admit that despite the lack of back and forth rallying, I do have a pretty mean serve. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I also turned one year older this summer and as the saying goes, I am one year slightly wiser… when it comes to my food choices. I am challenging myself to not only simplify my meal ideas even further, but to also give you  all the flavour “goodness” punch you deserve.

In anticipation of last night’s Quebec elections, I decided on whipping up a true French Canadian classic, pâté chinois aka Shepherd’s Pie. Growing up in a half French Canadian family, weekly consumption of the famous pâté chinois was not out of the ordinary. The original recipe consists of three main ingredients: mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and ground beef. Of course, one must spice this up in order to not heavily rely on the accompaniment of Ketchup (which is a must in the traditional way of eating this dish). Following my challenge, I put a twist on this customary plate and was delighted with the mouth savouring results! Using creamy sweet potatoes in lieu of its fatty white brother, I found the health & flavour punch it deserved. Yup, my insatiable hunger was well satisfied and my Ketchup will remain in hibernation until next summer!

Xo Dom Appetit!
 

Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie

Adapted from: Rachael Ray
Prep Time: 30 mins
Broil Time: 10 mins

Tools Needed:
9 x 13 baking dish, large boiling pot, measuring spoons & cups, peeler, cutting board, chopping knife, large frying pan, electric hand mixer or potato masher

Ingredients:
3 large sweet potatoes (peeled and cubbed)
1 cup of milk
1 egg (beaten)
1 medium onion (chopped)
6 mushrooms (chopped)
3 garlic gloves (minced)
1 ½ pounds of lean ground beef
1 can of creamed corn
1 can of corn (whole-kernel)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of herbes de provence
¼ cup of vegetable broth
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Parsley (optional)

Directions:

1)      Place sweet potatoes in large pot with a dash of salt, cover and bring to boil. Cook until tender and drain (15-20 mins). Return potatoes to pot and mash with milk, beaten egg, paprika, salt and pepper. Pre-heat oven to High Broil.
2)      In a large frying pan on medium high heat, add olive oil and allow garlic and onions to sweat. Once slightly browned add ground beef and cayenne, oregano, herbes de provence, vegetable broth and salt & pepper to taste.
3)      In a 9 x 13 baking dish, add a layer of the meat mixture and top off with creamed corn and whole-kernel mix. Finally, smooth sweet potatoes on top of kernel layer and top off with a thin layer of shredded cheese. Broil on middle rack till edges turn golden brown (10 mins), remove from oven and top with parsley.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment