Thursday, September 13, 2012

Black Bean Brownies

I was recently advised by several friends to read the x-rated trilogy, Fifty Shades of Grey. Though the first two novels were a bit of struggle for me (the constant romping, lack of “climax”, repetitive usage of “murmur”; please tell me, who murmurs through entire conversations?) – it was its final edition that provided the closure I needed that made me feel as though I didn’t completely waste my time. While wrapped up in the final pages of this novel, I found myself desiring brownies…chocolate brownies. I am sure I scared off half of you with the title of this tasty dish, and probably the other half with the Fifty Shades chatter, but given the small chance that one or two of you are still reading on, keep an open mind on this 6 ingredient brownie delight.

For those of you who follow my blog, you might remember the famous Chocolate Butternut Squash Brownie. Well, this intriguing version takes a more simplistic approach to gratifying your cravings and has strong internal stimulants as well. Black beans, being the main component of this dessert, are very high in dietary fibre and protein. So, not only does it help keep you regular but it makes a great energy bar substitute to keep you trucking through your day! The texture of this brownie is particularly fudgy and not very sweet. But rest assured, you have the power of sweetening the mixture by adding more maple syrup as you go. Enjoy!!!

Xo Dom Appetit!

Black Bean Brownies
Adapted from: The Copycat Cook

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Tools needed: food processor, measuring spoons & cups, 8 x 8 inch baking dish, parchment paper, rubber spatula

Ingredients:
2 cups of cooked black beans (rinsed)
1 cup of coconut milk (or alt. milk)
1/3 cup of maple syrup (add a couple more tablespoons to reach your sweetness level)
½ cup of cocoa powder
½ cup of spelt flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla

Directions:
1) Add all ingredients to the food processor and blend until completely smooth. Taste mixture and add more maple syrup if not sweet enough.
2) Using rubber spatula, spread mixture in a parchment paper lined 8 x 8 baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until top layer is slightly cracked and toothpick comes out clean. Cool and then cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment