Saturday, September 15, 2012

Japanese Cabbage Salad

I know that the autumn weather is supposed to be upon us and that I should be whipping out some serious oven roasted meals, but my home is still blessing me with an overwhelming sauna effect and cautionary warning to stay clear from the oven. In an attempt to satisfy my insatiable appetite, as well as keep my humble home to a moderately “comfortable” temperature, (for those of you who have experienced my non AC standard of living you understand) I took a voluntary jump back on the salad train. I promise you, this is no boring ol’ green salad. In fact, I am downright positive that most of you will adopt the Japanese Cabbage Salad as your potluck/get together “must” recipe.


I was introduced to this dish by one of my mom’s friends and begged him for the recipe deets by my second bite. I was shocked to know that the ingredients included a pack of Mr.Noodles. After all these years, that terrible elementary school soup mix is still kicking around? I remember the kids in the school yard eating this stuff dry with the salty mixture all over their fingertips. Personally, I was grateful that my mom never gave in to this schoolyard trend. But today my friend, Mr. Noodles has redeemed himself. It gives the right crunch to the cabbage and browned almond mixture. It is also effortlessly complimented by a flavour bonanza from its Asian inspired seasonings.  I must warn you though, this salad is highly addictive! I made a batch last night that could feed a group of four and found myself boldly licking the bowl clean. Ok, I admit that have an overly “healthy” appetite…but I bet that most of you will share the same results. Most importantly, did I mention that the salad takes only 15 minutes to assemble? It is not the most attractive dish, but the flavours undeniably speak for themselves.


Xo Dom Appetit!


Japanese Cabbage Salad

Prep Time: 15 mins
Tools needed: large mixing bowl, measuring cups & spoons, sealable jar, salad spoons, baking sheet

Ingredients:
½ cup almonds (sliced or slivered)
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 package of coleslaw in a bag (or ½ head of medium cabbage shredded)
Handful of bean sprouts (washed)
2 green onions (chopped)
¼ cup sunflower seeds
1 package instant noodles (3 oz, Mr.Noodles)
½ cup of Olive Oil
3 tablespoons soya sauce
3 tablespoons of vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar and loved it!)
1 teaspoon Salt & Cracked pepper
Chow Mein Noodles (optional)

Directions:
1)      Toast almonds and sesame seeds on baking sheet in oven at 350 degrees F for 5 mins or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
2)      In large mixing bowl, toss cabbage, bean sprouts, onions, sunflower seeds, almonds, sesame seeds and instant noodles. Place oil, soya sauce, seasoning packet from instant noodles, vinegar, salt and pepper in a sealable jar and shake well. Pour over salad and toss. Sprinkle chow mein noodles over top.

No comments:

Post a Comment