Monday, September 10, 2012

Chicken Quesadillas

At least once a week my belly bites and groans for a serving of cheesy pizza or dirty truck stop poutine. It takes all my might to deny myself such disturbingly pleasurable meals and rush home to plan an equally tasteful plate without the worry of a clogged artery or two. Short of disappointing my tum-tum too much, I decided to meet it halfway with a quick and ridiculously easy Chicken Quesadilla. I mean, who doesn’t love themselves a slightly cheesy, spicy chicken, half-mooned wrapped Mexican delight? I know I do. And so do the crew I whipped these Cheese Queso's up for.

With Football season commencing and the welcoming autumn breeze, I thought you all might need a break from the salad train and relinquish in a simple Quesadilla recipe. This recipe took me a total of 25 minutes and I was still able to carry on a fully animated convo with a glass of red by my side. If you find that impressive, wait till you set a plate of these down on the table and find yourself fighting for your slice of the pie! I highly suggest serving your queso’s with some homemade guacamole, salsa, and an another Eagles victory!

Xo Dom Appetit!



Chicken Quesadillas

Adapted from: Taste of Home

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins

Tools Needed: large skillet, large nylon spoon, baking sheet, cutting board, paring knife, measuring cups & spoons, pastry brush

Ingredients:
3 cups of skinless, thinly sliced chicken breast
2/3 cup of salsa
2 green onions (chopped)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of cracked pepper
½ teaspoon of dried oregano
6 large whole wheat tortillas
¼ cup of butter, melted
2 cups of grated cheese (I used cheddar!)
Olive oil for light frying

Directions:

1)      Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large skillet on medium heat, combine onions, chicken, salsa, and all spices. Let cook for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. While mixture cooks lightly brush the outside of the tortillas with melted butter and lay buttered side down on baking sheet.
2)      Spoon 1/3 cup of chicken mixture over half of each tortilla. Sprinkle with equal amount of cheese. Fold the tortilla closed into a half moon shape. Bake for 9-11 minutes (until edges crisp) and cut into wedges and sprinkle with cayenne (optional, I love my food spicy!). Serve immediately with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Yields 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment