Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole

Fall is finally upon us and the season of eating comfort food is settling in. I am trying to find a balance between going for seconds (or thirds…) and running a marathon up and down my staircase. Honestly, this is a difficult feat for me since I’m a sucker for roasted warm meals (and just about everything else). Even with Thanksgiving turkeys, rich gravy and heavy stuffing having come and gone, I feel the urgent need to share this Sweet Potato Casserole with you all, so I hope you forgive my tardiness and give it a try.

To be frank with you, I like my sweet potatoes loaded in salty Cajun style spices, and in a traditional french-fry form. So you can imagine my awe-filled reaction when my friend introduced me to this flavourful alternative. It is definitely not your traditional mashed potato recipe, and some of you might even consider it slightly on the dessert side. This sweet pot’ mash is smothered in butter, brown sugar and roasted pecans, leaving a deliciously seductive smell in your kitchen. It provides a knock your socks off kick to a classic Turkey dinner, or to any dinner party meal for that matter. On top of being extremely tasty, sweet potatoes are high in Fibre and Beta-Carotene.  Clear vision and intestines…what more can you ask for?
Xo Dom Appetit!


Sweet Potato Casserole
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins

Tools Needed: measuring cups, peeler, 9 x 9 baking dish, small mixing bowl, medium saucepan, foil

Ingredients:
6 sweet potatoes (peeled)
½ cup of butter
¼ cup of flour
½ cup of brown sugar
½ -1cup of chopped pecans (I put a cup!)
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil sweet potatoes in medium saucepan until tender. Drain, mash and mix in ¼ cup of butter, and salt and pepper for taste. Place mixture in 9 x 9 mixing dish
2) In saucepan over medium heat, melt ¼ cup of butter and add flour, brown sugar and chopped pecans. Mix well with wooden spoon and remove from heat. Spread evenly on sweet potatoes. Bake for 25 mins covered with foil. Take off foil and cook for an additional 5 mins. Remove from oven and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment