Friday, June 8, 2012

Guilt Free Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Avocado Icing

It’s no secret; I have a serious sweet tooth and will find any reason to bake up a ridiculously large batch of…guilty pleasures. And if you follow my blog you can definitely attest that this is true. It’s a difficult feat living with such an illness. I honestly cannot go to bed without stuffing a couple chocolate covered almonds in my mouth or a slice of week-old pudding chomeur. For those of you who are not familiar with this French Canadian pudding cake, I warn you now: Stay Away! Ok, I might be slightly exaggerating but this is why I get so excited when I find a recipe that not only tastes so fantastic, but is also diet-friendly. So to honor those of you who want their muffin tops but not to wear them too, I dedicate this recipe to you!




The chocolate cake base is unbelievably moist and my most satisfying yet. Don’t be thrown off by the fact that there are no eggs, no butter, and barely any sugar or flour. I promise you, this little cake holds itself up just fine without it! The addition of applesauce and dairy free yogurt make the cupcakes so fluffy and give them just the right touch of sweetness. Those of you who are still not convinced are probably stuck on the fact that I used avocado as my choice of icing. I figured since I am trying a “healthier” cupcake (oxymoron?) I might as well go all the way! I could honestly tell you that I test tasted this icing on some of the pickiest people I know, and they loved it!

Xo Dom Appetit!




Guilt Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 mins
Bake Time: 15-18 mins
Tools Needed: medium mixing bowl, 1 cupcake tray, 12 cupcake liners, measuring cups & spoons, hand mixer
Ingredients:
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup sugar or evaporated cane juice (I only used ½ a cup since the applesauce was sweetened)
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
½ cup vanilla non-dairy yogurt (my fave brand: SoDelicious)
½ cup applesauce
3 tbsp coconut or canola/veg oil
½ cup almond milk (you can use regular milk if you prefer)
Directions:
1)      Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake
2)      In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients and then beat in wet ingredients. Make sure not to overbeat. Spoon into lined tray and bake for 15-18 mins. Makes 12
Chocolate Avocado Icing
Prep Time: 10 mins
Tools Needed: hand mixer, medium mixing bowl, measuring cups & spoons
Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup icing sugar (add more if you please!)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
Directions:
1) In a medium bowl, beat avocado, vanilla, icing sugar and cocoa powder until smooth. Spread on cupcakes. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment