Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon & Broccoli

The past few weeks have been quite an adventure for me. After learning of the news that my company shut their doors without notice, I have been unemployed for the first time since I was 16. Wow, seems so long ago. Sweet Sixteen…working those ridiculously early mornings’ shifts at Tim Horton’s (Yes, I was a Timmy Hoes girl!), pouring hundreds of double-doubles, and repeating the same ol’ tune: “Would you like an apple fritter with that?” Oh, the simplicity of being a young, naïve suburban girl with virtually no money worries in the world, except for “which Parasuco top will I be purchasing this weekend”? The truth is, we really do not know what our future holds or where we will end up in five years from now, or even a month from now for that matter. My shock quickly dissipated and now I am left with an abundance of choices. What’s next? I am not too sure to be honest with you, but this time around I am following my intuition and taking “me” into consideration first.
Now that I have updated you on my latest conundrum, it’s time to get down to the real reason for this post: Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon & Broccoli. After a week of complete junk binging and a realization that this is the time to be frugal, I finally filled my fridge with fresh produce and essential sidekicks. I found this recipe not only refreshing but also quite inspiring. The combination of fresh broccoli and fibre packed sweet potato left me fully energized and “perfectly” full. I also replaced the intended ricotta or my Achilles ’ heel, sour cream, with my new fave, Greek Yogurt. I have never been so satisfied with the results. The best part of this recipe is that I was able to whip up a delicious restaurant-worthy meal in less than 30 minutes and have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. Yeaaahhhhh BUDDAY!
Xo Dom Appetit!



Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon & Broccoli
Adapted from: Food Network Magazine

Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins

Tools Needed: microwave safe plate, medium sized frying pan, paring knife, measuring cups & spoons, cutting board, small mixing bowl, spatula, paper towel, fork, additional plate
Ingredients:

4 sweet potatoes (about 8 ounces each- washed)
4 slices of bacon
1 broccoli head (stems trimmed, roughly chopped)
5 mushrooms (washed and sliced)

4 cloves of garlic (sliced)

1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

½ cup of Plain Greek Yogurt

1 tablespoon of finely grated parmesan cheese

Salt

(1/4 cup of grated old cheddar cheese-optional)

Directions:
1) Pierce each sweet potato thoroughly with a fork and arrange on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 12-15 minutes (until soft).
2) In the meantime, in a frying pan cook the bacon on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon and lay on a paper toweled plate. Drain bacon oil and return pan to medium high heat. Add broccoli, garlic, mushrooms, red chili flakes and a pinch or two of salt. Allow veggies to cook, stirring occasionally until tender.
3) Mix yogurt and parmesan in a small bowl. Split open the sweet potatoes lengthwise and fluff the flesh with a fork. Top each with the optional cheese and a teaspoon of the yogurt mixture, then top evenly with the broccoli mixture and the remaining yogurt mixture. Chop the bacon and sprinkle evenly on top. Enjoy while hot!


1 comment:

  1. sorry that you lost your job @ AC
    Love to come and eat with you . All the best to you. A.

    ReplyDelete