Monday, April 30, 2012

Butternut Cauliflower Curry

Growing up in a half West Indian family I was exposed to every type of curry imaginable. We had chicken curry, lamb curry, goat curry, beef curry, and a mysterious meat curry that my dad always referred to as “chicken”. Very questionable I know, but as a six year old kid surrounded by three other rowdy/hungry siblings you don’t waste time probing! I am embarrassed to admit that I nearly never make curry at home now! Well, I have my reasons: 1) there is a stellar Indian resto a block away from my apartment and 2) I don’t have a fan in my kitchen so not only does the amazing aroma stick to the air but also to my roomies clothing and bedrooms in general. In the name of amicability I usually go for the former and take the two minute stroll up the street to curb my cravings. But since the weather has been quite kind this week I was able to open my windows and cook this deliciously simple recipe that my sister-in-law threw my way.

This Cauliflower Curry is so dang tasty that you forget that I opted out on the “mysterious meat” component. I also added a gorgeous nutty butternut squash to the mix and a fresh tomato for a little pizzazz! The curry just blends so well with the cauliflower which is probably the only white veggie you can eat 100% guilt-free. It is making a serious comeback to the cruciferous table with its high dietary components, antioxidants and irresistible CRUNCH! I loved this recipe because it heated me up (since I had to open the windows to cook and my heaters are on the fritz) and because I got my curry fix quick without hitting up the butcher.
Xo Dom Appetit!

Butternut Cauliflower Curry
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Tools needed: large cooking pot, mixing spoon, measuring spoons & cups, cutting board, chopping knife

Ingredients:

1 medium onion (chopped)
1 green onion (chopped)
2-3 garlic cloves (minced)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon curry powder
½ butternut squash or pumpkin (peeled and cubed –in order to facilitate peeling/cutting cut in half and boil on stovetop for 5-10 mins)
½ head of cauliflower (chopped into florets)
1 small can of chick peas (rinsed)
1 bunch of coriander leaves (chopped)
1 large tomato (diced)
Olive oil (for frying)
Black pepper and salt
½ cup of water

Directions:

1)      In a large pot over medium heat fry up onions in olive oil, adding a pinch of salt. Turn heat down to medium low and add garlic, stirring to ensure that they don’t burn. Add a tablespoon more of oil and all spices stirring again making a light curry paste.

2)      Turn heat back to medium and stir in squash or pumpkin and add about ½ cup of water to assist with the cooking process (Add water up ¾ of the depth of the squash - making sure not to cover the squash completely) and leave to cook with lid on until it begins to soften, about 25 mins. Add the chickpeas along with the cauliflower (you might need to add a bit more water but be frugal – you don’t want a watery mixture!) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to simmer with lid on for another 15 mins. Once vegetables are soft mix in coriander leaves, tomato and additional salt and curry powder if needed. Allow to simmer for another 5-10 minutes and remove from heat. Serve over a bed of basmati rice, quinoa or with naan bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment