Friday, April 6, 2012

Ginger-Carrot Soup

Sadly, I have had to take my soup bowls out of retirement due to this terribly disappointing spring weather we’ve been experiencing. After an evening or two cozied up by the fireplace with a modest serving of scotch on the rocks (to heat me up of course!), I decided that it was time to pull out one of my favorite soup recipes: Ginger-Carrot Soup. Lately I have been overdosing on this orange vegetable for more reasons than one. Carrots are packed with cancer fighting antioxidants, a whole slew of vitamins, help clear your blurred vision and the best part is they help slow down the aging of cells (a natural anti-aging method at a fraction of the price, ladies!). My girls bought me a juicer for my 26th birthday (last summer *sigh*) and this baby eats up carrots like no one’s business. I highly recommend this beautiful appliance to anyone who enjoys fresh fruit & veggie juices…and has the time to clean it afterwards! Lol

But I digress. This Ginger-Carrot Soup is unquestionably fabulous. I mean this with all sincerity. It is so incredibly simple and cheap to make that I guarantee you will be thanking me when reheating your leftovers for days to come. The flavors of the pureed carrots are wonderfully complemented by the pungent zing of the ginger. And after adding a dollop of Greek yogurt and a few toasted pine nuts to the mix I found myself licking the bowl and pouring seconds in no time!
Xo Dom Appetit!
PS. Keep a close eye on your pine nuts when toasting. They go from au naturel beige to charcoal black in the blink of an eye!


Ginger-Carrot Soup
Adapted from: my Grandmaman’s kitchen and The Food Network Magazine

Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins

Tools Needed: measuring cups and spoons, peeler, cutting board, knife, large heavy pot with lid, blender, small sauté pan, small mixing bowl

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion (chopped)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 tablespoon of ginger (peeled & minced)
2 pounds of carrots (peeled & chopped)
1 medium russet potato (peeled & chopped)
6 cups of low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (I used 4 cups broth and 2 cups water)
¼ cup of pine nuts
1 1/3 cups of plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or dried)
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions:

1)      Combine the olive oil and onion in heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle with salt and cook until lightly caramelized. Mix in garlic and ginger and continue to cook (without burning the mixture). Add carrots, potato and the broth of your choice. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until carrots and potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat.
2)      In small pan over high heat, lightly toast the pine nuts. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, thyme and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
3)      Puree the soup in a blender until smooth (you might have to do a few batches). Adjust the seasoning to your taste (salt & pepper) and serve with a dollop of the yogurt mixture and some pine nuts.




No comments:

Post a Comment