Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Swiss do it Best: Cheese Fondue


When it comes to my weaknesses, I almost always surrender to my tummy. Particularly to my number one weak spot, my Achilles heel: Cheese. Le fromage, it is my one true love. The world of cheese is so vast and extensive that few could ever fully understand the immeasurable greatness of this dairy wonder. One of my fondest memories of Paris includes walking into the Le Fromagerie near Parc Monceau, and being overwhelmed by all the pungent scents swirling through each small shop. I could actually smell the mild mushroom aromas from the fresh brie, and the stinky, yet appealing smells escaping each unique, flavored blue cheese. I wanted to taste-test every one of these beauties, so I settled for a thick sliced chunk of fresh soft brie. I know, tough life, isn’t it ;)
I figured since I am on the topic of cheese, that I I’d share a simple cheese fondue recipe that I stumbled upon online. I have been craving cheese fondue for a while and found this recipe, not only dummy proof, but just perfect for entertaining. I pulled this one off with no stress and served it with a big bowl of chopped apples, fresh baguette, and grapes. I will definitely make this again soon, but will adapt the mix a tad more by adding freshly sliced sun dried tomatoes, for that extra bitter zest.
Xo Dom Appetit
PS. Here’s a Fun Fact: Did you know that the cheese fondue originates from the Swiss? It was named the Swiss National Dish by the Swiss Cheese Union in order to increase the consumption of cheese in the 1930’s…

Basic Cheese Fondue
Adapted from: All Recipes
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Tools Needed: medium size saucepan, cheese grater, cutting board, knife, fondue pot and forks
Ingredients:
2 cups of milk (I used 2 cups of White Wine instead, much more tasty!)
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons of ground dry mustard
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed (I used 2 cloves!)
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
6 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I used extra old cheddar! Yum Yum!)
Directions:
1)      Rub the bottom of the saucepan with half a garlic clove and the bottom of the fondue pot. Put the saucepan over low heat and mix together the garlic, flour, ground dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce and wine. Heat until almost boiling, and then gradually stir in the cheese, continuing to stir until all cheese is melted. Transfer the mixture to the fondue pot and ensure to keep it warm over the tea light or fluid. Best served with fresh fruits or baguette.

No comments:

Post a Comment