Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dreamy Strawberry Shortcake

Last weekend was my birthday and I was fortunate enough to spend it with my closest friends and family. I felt like I was six years old again, being overly spoiled with attention and copious amounts of energy not knowing who to turn to first.  I also indulged a bit too heavily in four extremely rich cakes and plenty of unnecessary greasy finger foods. But, I am happy to share with you that I finally received the juicer and bread maker I had been begging for (stay tuned for some fresh bread recipes)! Most ladies my age ask for lavish jewelry or spa days, but I’ll almost always prefer nicely gift wrapped luxurious kitchen appliances.

Just in case I didn’t greedily devour enough sweets this weekend, I decided to put my leftover strawberries to good use and bake up a dreamy, extra creamy, Strawberry Shortcake. Of course, I had to go big or go home, and pick a recipe by Paula Deen, the Queen of rich, calorie-ignorant desserts. This recipe not only calls for the usual ultra whipped cream, but also daringly adds sweetened condensed milk and the unforgettable, delightful taste of cream cheese. I am warning you now; this dreamy cake should only be made if you are ready to appreciate it fully, for what it is and not for what it isn’t (it ain’t low fat, low cal, no taste, no guilt! lol). It would probably be best to share this one, spoons first with the ladies! Enjoy!

Xo Dom Appetit!





Strawberry Shortcake
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Tools Needed: medium mixing bowl, medium saucepan, measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, knife, big clear bowl, spoon, electric mixer, rubber spatula, serenated knife,
Ingredients:
1 large Angel Food Cake (bought or homemade)
Custard:
1 package of cream cheese
1 can of sweetened condensed milk (small one)
1 container of frozen whipped topping (thawed)
Glaze:
1 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of cornstarch (or flour)
3 tablespoons of strawberry gelatin (recommended: Jell-O)
1 cup of water
2 cups of fresh strawberries, cut in 1/2 (keep some strawberries for garnish!)
Directions:
1) Slice cake, using a serenated knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers
2) Custard: mix together cream cheese, condensed milk, and whipped topping in a bowl. set aside
3) Glaze: in a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin; add water. Cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely, then fold in strawberries
4) Place one layer of the cake in a large clear bowl. Top with a layer of glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. Top cake with whole strawberries and enjoy! Refrigerates Well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment