Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcoming Spring with open arms and a bowl full of: Mango and Blueberry Cobbler

I think it’s safe to say that Spring might finally be here. I heard the birds chirping on Friday morning when I was definitely not feeling chirpy at all, and it brought a little song to my heart. I know it sounds cheesy but I have been waiting four long months to hear those little sounds of harmony. My roommate / best friend and I decided to get back into our little tradition of baking and wine, by making one more health conscious dessert: Mango Blueberry Cobbler.
The thing about Mel is that she has the fastest metabolism I have ever seen. This woman can eat a full sugar pie to herself and still have room for a medium pepperoni and cheese pizza. It’s actually remarkable how she does it. Needless to say, she was really looking forward to this cobbler. I have to admit, I didn’t quite tell her that this was a no bake, raw foods dessert that I had stumbled upon, because I knew her interest would dwindle. And I was right! She was a bit disappointed, and kept nagging me, “next time we are baking real cupcakes right?” But when it came time to slicing this baby up, she couldn’t keep her filthy little paws off them! Crunchy pecans, sweetened and glued together by gooey dates, fresh lively flavors from the bright orange mangos and light bursts of firm blueberry’s, all blended together to provide an amazing energizing dessert or breakfast. It is so freaking good, I am telling you! You won’t notice that it is sugar, flour, butter and bake free!
Xo Dom Appetit!
PS. I have adapted this recipe to my liking by using real maple syrup instead of making the syrup suggested. I also added blueberry’s and subtracted the vanilla bean. Feel free to use any fruit you want, but if you choose Mango’s, ensure that they are sweet and ripe.

Mango Blueberry Cobbler
(adapted from: Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: ---
Tools Needed: cutting board, knife, food processor, 9 x 9 baking dish, medium size bowl, big spoon, measuring cup, measuring spoons
Ingredients:
3 cups of pecans
¾ teaspoon of salt
¾ cup of pitted dates
½ teaspoon of vanilla
4-5 ripe mangos
1 cup of blueberries
1 tablespoon of coconut oil melted (optional, I just love the island flavor)
2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
Directions:
1)      Crust: process dates, pecans, salt and vanilla in food processor until crumbly and spread half the mixture at the bottom of the baking dish
2)      Filling: peel and cute mangos into slices and into medium size bowl. Add blueberries, coconut oil, syrup and toss until all covered. Spoon onto crust and top off with remaining crust mixture. Keeps in fridge for 2 days. Enjoy J

No comments:

Post a Comment