Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cardamom Carrot & Applesauce Cupcakes with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing

As I have mentioned before, I love incorporating the dynamic flavors of vegetables in my favorite desserts. I am currently on a cupcake high and the cravings continue to grow. The use of sweet veggies such as carrots, not only adds moisture to the mixture but also provide you with a great dose of energy and vitamin A to tackle your daily activities. With my left over icing from the chocolate cupcakes I made a few days ago, I decided to adapt a cardamom carrot cake recipe I stumbled upon by adding applesauce to the batter and turning them into cupcakes. Of course they turned out phenomenal and just as moist as I had suspected. The sweet aromas of cardamom and cinnamon instantly filled my home and I knew this creation was worth sharing.
I brought a tray of these scrumptious desserts in to share with my lovely co-workers. To my surprise one of my fellow colleagues decided to play a little “Cupcake Wars” on me and had his girlfriend bake some up as well. I was caught off guard by his actions, however intrigued at what the verdict might be amongst our group. I was fortunate enough to have a test group at home to be confident that my dessert would not fail to disappoint. I was right to believe so, as my Cardamom Carrot & Applesauce Cupcakes ranked 9.4/10 leaving my poor opponent a mere 6.2/10. Looking forward to my next challenger! ;)
Xo Dom Appetit!

Cardamom Carrot & Applesauce Cupcakes
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 20-25 mins
Tools Needed: baking mixer, rubber mallet, food processor or grater, measuring cups and spoons, large mixing bowl, cupcake pans (2), paper liners, large mixing bowl
 Ingredients:
¾ cup of canola oil
1 ½ cups of white sugar
½ cup of packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
4 large eggs (room temperature)
3 cups of grated carrots (6-8 carrots)
1 cup of applesauce
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup of buttermilk (room temperature)
¾ cup of chopped pecans
Directions:
1)      Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcakes tins with paper liners.
2)      In baking mixer, beat sugars and oil until combined. Mix in vanilla and eggs. Mix in carrots and applesauce.
3)      In large mixing bowl sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon. With mixer on low add flour mixture to carrot mixture while adding buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold pecans into batter.
4)      Spoon batter into lined cups and bake for 20-25 mins. Remove cupcakes from pans to cool completely. See icing recipe below.

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing

Prep: 15 mins
Tools Needed: baking mixer, rubber spatula, measuring cups and spoons
Ingredients:
¾ cup of half the salt butter
1 ½ packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
5 cups of icing sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
4 ounces of white chocolate (melted and cooled)
5-6 tablespoons of heavy cream
Directions:
1)      In the bowl of baking mixer on medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese together.
2)      Reduce speed and add icing sugar, mix until combined. Add vanilla and white chocolate; continue to mix at medium low speed. Add heavy cream and beat until combined. This makes an enormous amount of icing, play with the measurements to suit your desired quantities.



2 comments:

  1. oh my god. will you marry me please? these treats look gorgeous! but not nearly as gorgeous as you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwww......... Saad that's so sweet...
    My bf would like to eat a whole tray of these... Please don't let him...

    ReplyDelete