Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Juke Box Classics with a twist: Lean Ground Beef Burgers on 9 Grain Bread with Sweet Potato Fries

Remember the feeling of going to a complete old school dive and ordering a big juicy beef burger stuffed with the works and served with thick cut oily potato fries on the side? I sure do. When you’re a kid, this is your dream meal. No meal could compete with that classic sandwich. There is just something nostalgic about a burger and fries that I just can’t kick. I think of warm summer nights, drive thrus, milkshakes and fries. Oh god, I should weigh 200 pounds with these overwhelming moments of imagery. I don’t seem to be the only one bringing the burger back! I was driving through the West Island the other day and noticed a new burger joint, Jukebox Burgers & Bar Laitier, which had everything to feed my nostalgia, but my pockets were empty, so it was a No-Go. I decided to go home and make myself a real nice thick and juicy burger and throw in a fun little twist on my fries.

A lean ground beef burger on 9 grain bread with sweet potato fries coming right up! I decided to cut out the unnecessary wherever possible and used organic lean ground beef from the farmer’s market as well as 9 grain bread from one of my favourite Boulangerie’s, Premiere Moisson, I am sure you have all heard of it (and if you haven’t, def worth a stop in…try their thick hot cocoa...to die for!). I marinated my meat with enough flavours that you would not need to mask the tastes with that silly ketchup and dreadful mayo (Eck! I love it, but am slowly weaning myself off it!). Most importantly, I switched in the ol’ drab white potato for its more nutritional and flavourful brother, for a lovely plate of sweet potato fries.  Lip smacking good I tell you, and you saved on calories without sacrificing tastes!
Xo Dom Appetit!
PS. Marinate the meat for a few hours in the fridge for stronger and more delicious flavours, and feel free to switch the seasonings up. No Harm in experimenting!


Lean Ground Beef Burgers on 9 Grain Bread
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Tools Needed: medium size mixing bowl, cutting board, knife, large frying pan, spatula
Ingredients:
1.32 pounds of organic lean ground beef (approx.)
2 green onions (chopped)
½ small onion (chopped finely)
1/3 cup of bread crumbs
1 large egg
1-2 teaspoons of Cajun mixed spices
½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper and garlic powder
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to season
Directions:
1) Empty ground beef into medium bowl and start mixing in all other ingredients with your bare hands (make sure washed).
2) Once all grounds have been covered, put a saran wrap over mixture and put into fridge for a couple hours to allow the flavours to blend. If you are hungry and want to eat now, go right ahead and roll into flattened balls as big as the palm of your hands and start frying over medium heat with a splash of oil. While frying, ensure to turn the patties every 1 ½ minutes to ensure no burning. To ensure that meat is cooked properly, test by cutting small slit with a knife, if light pinkish brown, remove from heat. Slice up fresh tomatoes and lettuce and serve over 9 grain bread with a side of sweet potato fries. Makes 8-10 patties.
Sweet Potato Fries
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Tools Needed: cutting board, knife, large baking sheet
Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon of paprika
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
Directions:
1) Preheat oven at 350 degrees F
2) Wash sweet potatoes under cold water, scrubbing off all dirt. Cut off ends and slice into thick potato wedged chunks, leaving skin on.
3) Spread sliced potatoes on baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper and lightly toss.
4) Put into oven and bake for 35 mins, turning them once. Broil on high heat for 5-10 mins, checking to ensure that these bad boys don’t burn. Remove and serve right away with main dish or alone! Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmmmm. Sounds sooooo yummy :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually made all this food? The shrimp and bamboo shoots are your cooking for sure, as I recognized the plates the food was resting on. OOOhhhh la la....when do you do get the time to create such delicaties? Please post easier meals, with cheaper ingredients, so that I can keep up to this restaurant style fabulicious menu! I LOVE YOU!!!I am a cheapie but I love to cook too!

    ReplyDelete