Thursday, June 16, 2011

To Iran and back in less than 2 hrs: Tah Chin

I believe it is critical to be open-minded when it comes to venturing out into the culturally unknown food district. That being said, I will admit that there are still some foods that make my stomach hurl, and never forgivably:  the lamb head soup that my father served me (unaware of the content until a plump eyeball turned up to give me a mocking stare down), and how could I ever forget that wonderful bean stew I had in Portugal of which the waitress forgot to mention the main ingredient was cow stomach! Yes, I am an adventurous eater, but even I have my limits. There are many foods that remain curiously unknown to me, including the world of Persian Gastronomy.
Last week I was fortunate enough to have my sister’s Boyfriend/Persian-foodie come over and share his culinary “secrets” with us. He cooked us a very popular dish in his culture, Tah Chin. This is primarily a rice dish covered in bitter saffron, layered over spiced chicken. The dish is served with a side of mint yogurt and a light tomato cucumber salad. I was a bit skeptical when this concoction had to bake for 45 mins, as there is no real sauce content. Every minute of inhaling these delicious scents released from the stove were pure torture. But once my plate of slightly crisped saffron rice and poulet was served with the fresh salad veg, I was speechless. Such a simple meal, with an abundance of flavor. I am very much looking forward to my next Persian meal…hint hint ;)
Xo Dom Appétit!   


Tah Chin
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Tools Needed: large frying pan, medium boiling pot, medium mixing bowl, wooden spoon, 9 x 12 baking dish, small-holed colander, aluminum foil
Ingredients:
Rice Dish:
2 ½ cups of basmati rice
4 skinned chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch cubes)
1 tablespoon of saffron (the more saffron the more flavor :P)
2 large eggs
¾ of a tub of plain yogurt
2 teaspoons of salt
½ teaspoon of cracked pepper
1 medium onion (chopped)
8-12 dried cranberries (chopped)
Directions:
1)     Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Boil hot water with splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt, then add rice. Cook for 8 mins. Drain and run cold water in the colander, set to the side
2)     In large frying pan, fry up onions till they are translucent and then add diced chicken cubes. Add 1/5 cup of water and cover with lid. Set heat to medium and cook for approx 15-20 mins. Stirring occasionally
3)     In medium mixing bowl add yogurt, eggs, saffron, salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly. Add rice and continue mixing.
4)     Line large casserole dish with cooking spray. Take half of the rice mix and layer bottom of dish. Add all the cooked chicken, layering evenly. Add remaining rice, covering chicken. Cover platter with remaining chicken juice from pan and sprinkle the cranberries on top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil, puncture holes for breathing in foil and pop into oven for 40 mins. Remove and serve with side of Persian yogurt and salad
Persian Yogurt:
Ingredients:
½ a tub of plain yogurt
½ of a medium cucumber chopped into small cubes
2 teaspoons of dried mint
Pinch of salt
½ a lime juice
Splash of Olive Oil
Directions:
1)     Combine all ingredients together and serve on the side of the Tah Chin
Persian Salad
Ingredients:
½ of a medium cucumber chopped
2 small tomatoes chopped
½ of a medium onion chopped
½ of a lime juice
Salt and Pepper
Splash of olive oil
Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients and on serve on the side of Tah Chin



No comments:

Post a Comment