Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Steamed Mussels in a Red Wine Sauce

After a two week dream getaway to the splendid but oh so dear Cote D’Azur, I was welcomed back to my cozy kitchen exceptionally inspired and only a few pounds heavier. I could now understand the hype surrounding the French Riviera and I promise you that it is NOT an exaggeration. The people, the art, the beaches, and most importantly: the food. They have a beauty and culture that they can truly call their own. There is no escaping the playful scents from each colourful eatery along the famous Promenade des Anglais. The culinary delight in Nice was unbeatable.  If you ever have a chance to visit this French gem, please take the time to walk through Old Nice and take in all the diverse heavenly spices and aromas. Speaking of spices, every little city on the coast held their own daily spice markets that sold everything from rose bud teas to black volcano salts. My one sole regret from this trip was that I opted out of a Nice one-on-one culinary adventure and wine testing. Oh well… saving it for next time!

On my last night, I was craving pizza. Not sloppy domino’s style pizza, but sweet, chewy, fresh seafood, wood-burning oven pizza. And I received just that! We were lucky enough to sit on the terrace right by the fire oven inhaling all the pizza scents. I ordered the most delish mussels pie. It was loaded with colossal chunks of fresh garlic, wild mushrooms, the greenest parsley and the mother lode of mussels. So when I saw two pounds of mussels on sale at Provigo my mouth began to salivate. I am used to white wine sauces with my moules but there is no fun in monotony. My sister and I stumbled upon a simple red wine recipe that could easily be sopped up with a warm crusty baguette or steamed cauliflower (healthier “white” option).

Xo Dom Appetit!

Steamed Mussels in a Red Wine Sauce

Adapted from: FOOD
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 6 mins

Tools Needed: large sauce pan and cover, large wooden spoon, cutting board, knife, measuring cup and spoons, colander
Ingredients:

2 lbs of live mussels
3 cups of merlot (or any red wine lying around the kitchen)
4 tablespoons of butter

2 fresh green onions (diced)

1/8 cup of red pepper flakes

3 garlic cloves (diced)

2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (or lime!)
2 large fresh tomatoes (diced)

1 tablespoon of dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to season

Directions:
1)    Scrub mussels and agitate in colander (2-3 mins). Remove any mussels that are still open. Set aside
2)    In the large saucepan, bring butter and wine to a boil then reduce to medium heat. Add green onions, red pepper flakes, and garlic. Stir often until volume reduces to half. Return heat to high and add tomatoes, lemon juice, and mussels. Stir once and cover with lid. Boil 2-3 mins
3)    Remove from heat and throw out any mussels that have not opened. Serve immediately with a slice of crusty bed or home fries


No comments:

Post a Comment