Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Gazpacho with Avocado Toast

It has become an exhausting feat, to cool down in this sweltering heat. But I refuse to complain, as I have been waiting eight long, dispiriting months for these scorching sleepless summer nights. I am one of those few unfortunate souls living in North America that does not own an air conditioner. To make matters worse, I live in a particularly sketchy neighborhood where opening my window at night is not an option. One can only imagine what my kitchen must feel like…

This is why for dinner this evening, I resorted to a refreshingly, light Gazpacho to be enjoyed in my plus 40 degree apartment. For those of you who are not familiar with Gazpacho, I believe it is about time that you get yourself acquainted! It is a simple tomato based soup with raw chopped vegetables (cucumbers, red peppers, tomatoes, coriander, garlic, red onions). Despite its lack of depth, this cold soup is full of flavor and nutrients. Its origins are said to be from Spain, but you may recognize this tasty soup from many Italian menus. The soup only gets better with age, so be sure to let it sit a day or two in the fridge to allow the ingredients to unify. I suggest serving this with freshly baked sunflower and flax seed bread topped with fat slices of avocado. Don’t forget to sprinkle with salt.

Xo Dom Appetit!

PS. Why not spice it up by adding chopped jalapeno for that extra bite? Just don’t forget a dollop of sour cream to cool things down!


Gazpacho


Prep Time: 20 mins

Tools Needed: large mixing bowl, food processor, large mixing spoon, measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, knife
Ingredients:

1 cucumber (halved, do not peel)
2 red peppers cored and seeded (I used 1 orange pepper)
4 tomatoes
1 medium red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups of V8 tomato juice (low sodium)
¼ cup of white wine vinegar
¼ cup of good olive oil (I used my lemon infused olive oil from Sorrento!)
½ tablespoon of Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

Directions:
1)      Roughly chop the cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, coriander, and red onions into 1-inch cubes. Put each vegetable separately into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until it is coarsely chopped (make sure to not over process)
2)      After each vegetable is processed, combine into large bowl and add garlic, tomato juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and ensure to chill in fridge before serving. Like I mentioned above, the longer it sits, the better.  






No comments:

Post a Comment