Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I feel like…Beer Chicken Tonight! Beer Chicken Tonight! Beer Chicken Tonight!


I am sure you all remember that catchy jingle from those 90’s commercials for Chicken Tonight pre-made chicken sauce, and if you don’t then here’s a little look: Chicken Tonight Ragu. Catchy isn’t it? Well, I was feeling like Beer Chicken last night and decided to cook my full grain fed chick that I bought from the Jean Talon Market. If you have never been to the JT Market it is definitely something worth checking out. It is an indoor farmer’s market with wall to wall fruits, veggies, eggs and more. In the summer they extend their produce outdoors and sell fresh flowers and plants, which I am really looking forward to.
I have made Beer Chicken a few times now, but I believe that last night’s attempt was a real success. I stuffed my bird with the usual chopped onions and garlic and made sure to marinate it overnight in a ziplock baggy with a rub down of all my favorite spices. The next day when I removed it from the bag, the chicken smelt heavenly, and I couldn’t wait for the end result. I ran down to the little Dépanneur on the corner of my street and bought a can of Coors Lite to stuff up my bird. Now that just sounds plain dirty, but that’s exactly what you need to do. Make sure to take a couple sips of the beer before inserting into the bird as it needs room to boil once inside. The beer keeps the chicken from drying up, and adds moisture to the baking process while creating a crispy outer layer. The constant outflow of liquid will ensure a perfectly tender fall off the bone chicken with that delicious crispy skin that we all fight over. I served this moist tender chicken plate with a side of sautéed mushrooms with chives in balsamic with long grain brown rice. I promise that you will be flapping those arms and singing that jingle over and over after this meal!
PS. It doesn’t matter what kind of beer you use (ale or lager). Next time I will attempt with my favorite cola! Don’t be afraid to experiment…just don’t burn the chicken!
BEER CHICKEN
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1.5 – 2 hrs
Tools Needed: large mixing bowl, large ziplock bag, 8 inch pie pan, chopping knife, oven mitts
Ingredients:
5 LB Chicken (grain fed preferably)
1 small onion (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (chopped)
½ teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Chilis
1 teaspoon of Salt, Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Mix (Clubhouse), Thyme, Worchester Sauce
2-3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 can of beer (brand of your choice)
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In the large mixing bowl rub down your full chicken with olive oil while adding all the spices listed above (cayenne, pepper, chilis, salt, roasted red pepper and garlic mix, Thyme, and splash of Worchester). Make sure to cover all grounds not leaving any of the chicken undressed
2) Stuff the chicken with the chopped garlic and onion and insert into the ziplock bag. Leave in the fridge to marinate over night
3) Empty half of a can of beer and stuff up the chicken rear. Make sure that the chicken is standing stable on the can and sit on the pie pan
4) Put into oven and cook for 1.5 – 2hrs, rotating every 25 mins
5) Let sit for 10 mins and then carve and serve! Dom Appetit! J

Beer Infused Chicken

Beer Chicken with sauteed mushrooms
and chives with balsamic and long grain brown rice

2 comments:

  1. I have tried this before but your picture shows a much better result. I will try again using your directions. Thanks (I feel like chicken tonight, like chicken tonight)

    ReplyDelete