Monday, January 31, 2011

Dom’s Chopping Block: Toronto Edition, Le Rossignol

Last weekend my girlfriend Jenny and I made our way up to visit our friend Shauna. Knowing how much I love food, she suggested we go to a new restaurant in Leslieville. She had heard good reviews about this little French bistro-style resto and made reservations right away.  We all dressed to impress (well, the best we can do considering it was minus 40 out) and stumbled our way into the dimly lit doorway of Le Rossignol. Upon entering, I was a bit shocked at the size of the venue. The entire resto was the size of my living room, which is not necessarily a bad thing as I felt at home and was ready to enjoy a savory French cooked meal. We began the night with a wonderful bottle of Merlot. The full body flavors danced around my mouth with excitement and I was now ready for my appetizer: Escargot. This being a very common appetizer in France, I had to give it a try. After a small wait, a plate bowl of five piping hot juicy garlic infused escargots topped lightly with cheese were presented to my friend and I with a small basket of crostinis on the side. These little delicacies were cooked so tenderly and left my mouth watering for more, but I was sharing so I had to limit myself to two. It was now time for my main and I was overwhelmed by the delicious sounding options! “What do I choose?” The braised wild boar shank with saffron risotto? Or how about the seared wild pacific salmon with rapini, lima beans and saffron jus? I decided to turn to our lovely waitress Veronique (born in France, grew up in Montreal, then moved to Toronto…yes, I got the whole life story) who suggested that I give the Cassoulet a try. When I asked her what it was, she explained it in four  simple words: “You will love it”. When the dish was presented to me I was a bit thrown off, as I was expecting a stew-like meal. To my surprise, there lay a beautifully tender leg of duck, over a bed of white navy beans, nestled in the comfort of a lightly spiced Tuscan sausage. The aroma and steam that were being released from this French traditional meal were mouthwatering. Needless to say, I ate every last bite of this meal. It was only afterwards that I noticed how salty the food really was. I felt parched until early the next morning (no, it was not due to the excessive alcohol intake…)! Oh wait, I almost forgot the best part! The Dessert… Crème Brûlée infused with cardamom. Cardamom is a very aromatic spice with a unique taste that adds zest to any dessert, making this hands-down, the best Crème Brûlée I have ever had.   The sound of my spoon cracking through the glass-like caramel shell, revealing the smooth milky custard, was simply unforgettable. There is something so soothing about a creamy light custard dessert. It may have been the living room like atmosphere, but while scraping the last bite of this warm dessert, I suddenly had the urge to slip into my PJ’s and curl up on the couch to some Motown classics.

DOM’S CHOPPING BLOCK RATING:
Presentation: 4/5
Service: 3.5/5
Quality: 3.5/5
Atmosphere: 4/5
75 % Just made the cut!
PRICE: $10-$30
                                                              Garlic Escargots
                                                              Duck Cassoulet
                                          Crème Brûlée infused with Cardamom        

No comments:

Post a Comment